Easily overlooked, Kanaha Beach is located just minutes away from Kahului Airport. Portrait locations on Maui don’t get more convenient than this! Whether you’re planning your session the day you arrive or the day you say “a hui hou,” this Maui gem is sure to fill you with the Aloha spirit. Follow along and we’ll highlight the details that make Kanaha Beach one of the best portrait locations on Maui.
Our company’s founder, Karma Hill, considers Kanaha Beach one of the top sandy shores on the island! So there’s sure to be something extra special about it! With deeply hued waters paired against the greenery of the West Maui Mountains, your portraits will showcase a unique side of Maui that not many visitors have the luxury of seeing.
Kanaha Beach Park Details
This portrait location on Maui is located so close to the airport you could literally walk there. Honestly, it would be a hot and uncomfortable walk so we don’t recommend it but it’s close enough that you could! It features a variety of backdrops and areas to explore at this tree-lined beach. Located on the coastal line of Kahului, Kanaha Beach Park is a rare gem in the busy(ish) Maui city.
- 15 minutes from the Paia area
- 40 minutes from Kihei
- 1 hour from Lahaina
There’s plenty of parking at this portrait location on Maui. Our photographer will meet you in the lot and guide you to the best spots for capturing your special memories. Morning hours here are vivid and blue, while sunsets tend to be a bit more subdued.
- With several parking lots, there’s plenty of parking at this portrait location on Maui
- The park has picnic areas and showers to rinse off under
- It can be a bit windy so we recommend hairstyles that can withstand the elements
- Kitesurfers can often be spotted in the distance
- Sea turtles are frequently seen in the ocean
- This beach is somewhat secluded so there are days with very few beach-goers
At this portrait location on Maui, the sun sets behind the West Maui Mountains, but sunsets here still offer dreamy and magical skies.